This week I’m coming full force with a super fun and easy DIY project. I really just needed a way to organize my growing collection of colorful markers and pens and all that jazz, so I came up with this. Keith Haring inspired mason jars. He’s one of my absolute favorite artists and I figured he would be the perfect person to do something “inspired by”.
KEITH HARING INSPIRED DIY PAINTED JARS
TOTAL TIME : 60 MINS + DRYING TIME
- Mason jars
- Spray Paint Primer (I used Krylon colormaster white primer)
- Acrylic craft paint
- Foam paint brushes
- Paint pen (I used a black Craft Smart paint pen)
- Sealant (I used Mod Podge matte sealant. Spray sealant may be more convenient)
- Remove the lids from your jars, then turn the jars upside down and apply a few layers of white spray primer. (I suggest doing this outside)
- Once the primer has dried, using a foam paint brush, apply the first coat of acrylic paint to your mason jars. Let that first layer completely dry, then add a second coat of paint. I used three coats in total.
- Use a pencil to outline the pattern you want to paint on the mason jars.
- Use your paint pen to color in the pattern you previously outlined.
- Once your paint pen pattern has dried, paint/spray the mason jars with the sealant to protect the paint from chipping or scratching.
- Place the lids back onto the mason jars, and fill the jars with pens, markers, paint brushes or even candy and confetti!
Your finished mason jars are great for holding any DIY or craft supplies. You could even use them to hold things at your next party! The possibilities are endless and who doesn’t like something to help keep them a little more organized??